Light your holidays with LEDs
The winter holiday season has officially begun, and with it comes the frenzy of decorating, holiday gatherings and gift buying. Don’t let your energy-saving efforts fall by the wayside amid all the festivities.
This holiday, light up your home with LED lights. In addition to being sturdier and more resistant to breakage, LED holiday lights also last longer and consume 70 percent less energy than conventional incandescent light strands. It only costs 27 cents to light a 6-foot tree for 12 hours a day for 40 days with LEDs, compared to $10 for incandescent lights.
LED – or light-emitting diode – holiday lights are much more efficient than traditional incandescent lights. While the initial purchase price of LED light strings is higher, consider the cost of running each type of light string for 12 hours per day for 40 days:
|Type of light||Electricity cost *|
(125 bulbs, 4 watts each)
|Mini incandescent lights
(300 bulbs, 0.4 watts each)
|LED holiday lights
(280 bulbs, 0.04 watts each)
*Assumes an electricity price of 10.5 cents per kilowatt-hour.
Source: U.S. Department of Energy
LOOK FOR THE ENERGY STAR
Earning the Energy Star certification means the product meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Lighting products that have earned the Energy Star label deliver exceptional features, while using less energy. Saving energy helps you save money on utility bills and protect the environment by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Look for the Energy Star on decorative light strings:
- Use 75 percent less energy than conventional incandescent lights strands.
- Can last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent strands, meaning fewer light string replacements.
- Are cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.
- Do not have moving parts, filaments or glass, so they are much more durable and shock-resistant than other light strings.
- Are available in a variety of colors, shapes and lengths.
- Come with a three-year warranty.
- Are independently tested to meet strict lifetime and electrical requirements.
- Products labeled for outdoor use are subjected to weathering tests.
- Some models deliver features such as dimming or color shifting.
- Provide the latest features and functionalities such as dimming and color shifting.